[erlang-questions] : Human readable errors in lists module

Fri Feb 13 10:07:23 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 09:32:30AM +0100, Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) wrote:
> Zvi skrev:
> > I think instead of "fixing" lists:zipwith, it's better to add
> > parallel list comprehensions, i.e.:
> >
> > lists:zipwith(F, Xs, Ys) = [F(X,Y) || X<-Xs ; Y<-Ys].
> >
> > Note ";" instead of ",".
>

> This is actually more difficult than it seems
> at first glance.

Is not the suggestion that lists run in parallel, not execution.
I.e in contrast to
    [F(X,Y) || X <- Xs, Y <- Ys] that will create
a list of the result of calling F(X,Y) for every
combination of X and Y from the lists Xs and Ys,
    [F(X,Y) || X <- Xs; Y <- Ys] would only call
F(X,Y) for every pair X, Y from the same
position in Xs and Ys, respectively.

    f(F, Xs, Ys) -> [F(X,Y) || X <- Xs, Y <- Ys].
<=>
    f(F, Xs, Ys) ->      ff(F, Xs, Ys).
    ff(F, [X|Xs], Ys) -> fff(F, X, Ys);
    ff(_, [], _) ->      [].
    fff(F, X, [Y|Ys]) -> [F(X,Y)|fff(F, X, Ys)];
    fff(_, _, []) ->     [].

whereas

    f(F, Xs, Ys) -> [F(X,Y) || X <- Xs; Y <- Ys].
<=>
    f(F, [X|Xs], [Y|Ys]) -> [F(X,Y)|f(F, Xs, Ys);

just like lists:zipwith/3.

I think it is a neat idea to achieve a lists:zipwith/2..
but I do not know if it would work syntactically.
Also, there will be arguments that a variant that
produces a result list with the length of the shortest
contributor is also desired, or prefered. So, to have
this (list zip) as syntax may be to overdo things.