[erlang-questions] : Hacked Group Home Page?

Thu Feb 12 18:51:09 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 04:40:55PM +0000, Kerr Rainey wrote:
> 2009/2/12 Jon Gretar Borgthorsson <jongretar@REDACTED>:
> > Umm...
> > Why this whole discussion about this? Why doesn't someone with manager
> > access simply remove this? And of story.
>
> In the first instance, just trying to establish where it was coming
> from.  Now we just need it dealt with.  So who has manager access to
> the Google Group to fix it?

The only one with manager access as I know of is the group owner,
and the group owner can be found among the members, e.g by sorting
on member type.

I tried to contact this group owner about a year ago to find out
if he/she felt like transferring the group ownership to the
Erlang/OTP group. But I got no answer.

So now it pops up again.

The settings for the group is far to sloppy. It allows anyone to
join and any member to post pages and files. And there is a long
history of porn and spam among the pages and files. Nice users
seem to continously edit these pages to remove the porn ads,
so this is the first time it has come to our attention.

Rouge users join, post their crap and then unsubscribe.
It is apparently a known issue within Google Groups
(I Googled to find this out :-).

This time the welcome page apparently has been hacked,
so perhaps the group owner password is cracked. I guess
only the group owner and group managers can alter the
welcome page, and I saw no group managers on the members
list (but did not look that hard, i only wanted the owner).

I have again mailed the group owner to get a response.
I have also mailed support at google groups, but it seems
(according to the Google Groups Help Forum) that they
seldom bother with these problems. There are advice there
that you create a new group and convince the users
to abandon the old.

So if neither the group owner nor google groups support
answers my prairs that is what we will have to do.

> On a side, can the group not be set up to add itself into the reply-to
> field? Doh!

Google for "reply-to considered harmful" and search the
erlang-questions archives for numerous older reply-to discussions...