[erlang-questions] Is erlang a web language?

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin@REDACTED
Thu Feb 12 18:12:55 CET 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 7:53 AM, Joe Armstrong wrote:

> No language serves up library code to you on a plate with no effort
> involved.

This is true, but OTOH, Erlang requires much more effort than many
other language (Perl being the gold standard here, I would say; with
Ruby and, increasingly, Haskell making good showings).  A good
repository of reusable code is a huge boon to a language.

> At the end of the day most good programmers end up writing the code
> they want
> because it is *quicker* than searching in vain for library code that
> may or may not work and may of may not do what they want. Even if they
> find the code they cannot
> be sure that it is 100% correct.

Respectfully, I think that's quite untrue.  Perhaps there are some
problem domains where it holds, but there are many others where it's
not the case.  It would be pure arrogance to think that you are just
going to whip out an XML parser or an implementation of many of the
common internet protocols that is more correct than library code
that's been used by many people over many months or years.

-kevin