[erlang-questions] '--' BIF to be used with caution?

Andras Georgy Bekes bekesa@REDACTED
Fri Feb 6 13:28:30 CET 2009

> I don't mind too much if '--' remains O(N^2). But the fact that it
> made ERTS unresponsive is more of a worry, to me, because this seemed
> to go against the spirit of the language.

I wouldn't care too much for '--' being VM-blocking BIF until it is not
the only one.

You can block the whole VM with a pattern match as well! See:
http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2008-March/033838.html

So if this problem with '--' is considered serious, then
pattern-matching should also be made non-blocking ("trapping").

	Georgy