[erlang-questions] Shortnames

Kevin A. Smith kevin@REDACTED
Mon Feb 2 21:11:52 CET 2009

On Feb 2, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Lev Walkin wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Also, I heard that some high profile projects do not use
>> distribution at
>> all, replacing it with custom RPC mechanism like [1]. Is there are
>> any
>> reasons beside security for this?
>
> Beside security, I heard of another reason: not being sure about
> performance, scalability and reliability properties of standard
> internode communication. In my view, using AMQP should be more natural
> next step than rolling out custom RPC in such case (if security is not
> the primary concern of going away from native RPC).

A random AMQP comment: I'm using RabbitMQ on a project with demanding
performance requirements. After just a few days of use with hardly any
tweaking or optimization we're seeing message rates of 10-12k per
second on a developer laptop with Erlang and Java AMQP clients. We
expect this rate to increase when we get closer to deploy time after
we've optimized our code and have access to server-class machines.

--Kevin