[erlang-questions] Shortnames

Zvi exta7@REDACTED
Mon Feb 2 14:19:54 CET 2009

Hi,

Is using shortnames in distributed Erlang more secure, than longnames? I.e.
even if intruder guessed the cookie, he/she still will not able to connect
from different subnet.
Also, I heard that some high profile projects do not use distribution at
all, replacing it with custom RPC mechanism like [1]. Is there are any
reasons beside security for this?

Thanks in Advance,
Zvi

[1]
%%It is very easy to roll your own RPC:
call(Sock, M,F,A) ->
     gen_tcp:send(Sock, erlang:term_to_binary(M,F,A)).

%% TODO

%%Then at the other end:
loop(Sock, Allowed_funcs) ->
	receive
	     {tcp, Sock, Data} ->
        	 case erlang:binary_to_term(Data) of
	             {M, F, A} when is_list(A) ->
        	         case lists:member({M,F,length(A)}, Allowed_funcs) of
                	     true ->
                        	 apply(M,F,A);
	                     false ->
        	                  ignore