[erlang-questions] IDE Bashing (Was Re: [erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?)

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Mon Dec 28 19:04:12 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Jarrod Roberson
<jarrod@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Illo de' Illis
> <erlang@REDACTED>wrote:
>

>>   A job can actually be done when people are skilled, no matter the tools.
>>
>> Ciao,
>> Illo.
>>

> you can dig a ditch with a plastic spoon but that doesn't make it the right
> thing to do. Most people that bash IDE's and other productivity tools do it
> because they don't understand the productivity side of things and lots of
> times use the argument, "I don't have time to learn XXX". What I have to say
> is "I don't have time to NOT learn the tools".

This is a reasonable point, but it is generally applicable to a lot of
things that impact developer productivity: languages, libraries,
architectures, methodologies, etc.

I think we ought to give a bit more credit to our fellow software
developers and trust that they can work out their own tool chain based
on their inclinations and common sense. It's pointless to debate which
approach to tooling is better as this is both a personal choice and an
iterative journey.

Garrett