[erlang-questions] IDE Bashing (Was Re: [erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?)

Jarrod Roberson jarrod@REDACTED
Mon Dec 28 18:43:51 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Illo de' Illis
<erlang@REDACTED>wrote:

>   A job can actually be done when people are skilled, no matter the tools.
>
> Ciao,
> Illo.

you can dig a ditch with a plastic spoon but that doesn't make it the right
thing to do. Most people that bash IDE's and other productivity tools do it
because they don't understand the productivity side of things and lots of
times use the argument, "I don't have time to learn XXX". What I have to say
is "I don't have time to NOT learn the tools".

I mean would you pay someone to dig you a ditch by the hour with a plastic
spoon, because he doesn't believe that "real" ditch diggers need to use
tools and doesn't have the time to learn how to use a backhoe? Or would you
rather pay a fraction of those hours to the guy that isn't skilled with the
spoon and uses a backhoe to dig the same ditch for a fraction of the price?