[erlang-questions] IDE Bashing (Was Re: [erlang-questions] "Erlang as a First Language" -- crazy? or just stupid?)

Illo de' Illis erlang@REDACTED
Mon Dec 28 20:42:20 CET 2009

On Dec 28, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Jarrod Roberson wrote:
> [...]
> I mean would you pay someone to dig you a ditch by the hour with a plastic
> spoon, because he doesn't believe that "real" ditch diggers need to use
> tools and doesn't have the time to learn how to use a backhoe?

I would pay someone who does it _right_ and in the time I need it to be done, _no matter the tools he would use_. In fact, I'd happily accept a complete-function-calls-for-me, cut-and-paste-here-and-there, google-to-find-answers and debug-till-it-works programmer if results would be on par with my needs.
I'm not against tools, backhoes[1] included. I'm against tools that make you dumber, and present IDE/RADs often do[2].

Ciao,
Illo.

[1] and I'm sure you do agree with me when I say that a developing environment with a good shell, a bunch of supporting tools and a well-configured vim or emacs is a hell of a backhoe.
[2] when they don't crash.