[erlang-questions] Using Dialyzer on Ubuntu 9.10?

Bernard Duggan bernie@REDACTED
Fri Dec 18 19:25:37 CET 2009

Jeremy Raymond wrote:
> I've successfully downloaded, compiled, and installed R13B03. Dialyzer is
> currently building the plt file.
>
> The Ubuntu default Erlang install is located at:
>      /usr/{bin, lib/erlang, etc}
> and the version I built myself goes to
>      /usr/local/{bin, lib/erlang, etc}
> so there's no conflict on the install.

I'd strongly recommend removing the packaged install unless you have a
really good reason to keep it, because otherwise at some point I'll
guarantee you that that parallel installation will trip you up.

> In the future when I download a newer Erlang version, compile it and install
> it again, do I need to manually delete the old install (if I want the same
> location) or will the new version do the right thing on make install and
> just overwrite the current install?

You don't really need to manually delete it (at least not in my
empirical experience), but what you'll find is that the
/usr/local/lib/erlang/lib directory will continue to acquire more and
more subdirectories, since they're named by the version of the library,
so the new ones won't overwrite the old ones.  Erlang will always
correctly select the newest one, so it's more of a tidiness issue than
any problem with functionality.

I don't have a nice solution for this, unfortunately - there doesn't
seem to be an 'uninstall' make target...anyone got a suggestion?

Cheers,

Bernard