[erlang-questions] erlsrv usage

pan+eq@REDACTED pan+eq@REDACTED
Fri Aug 21 16:27:48 CEST 2009

Hi!

Well... The "display name" will be ejabberd, but the internal windows name
you see if you select "properties" will be ejabberd followed by some
seemingly random numbers. It's not a bug, it's actually working as
intended. The internal name never changes regardless of what the release
handler in OTP does to the service (renames, creates new service with old
name etc etc), why it needs to be unique and somewhat
disconnected from the name erlsrv uses (which is also set as the windows
"display name", which is what most users will ever see).

However, even if it's working as once intended, there is no harm in adding
options for those who don't use the release handler and don't need to
do the icky things the release_handler does. Therefore the erlsrv command
will take two new options when registering a service beginning from
R13B02:
-i <internal service name>
-c <comment>

The comment will show up as "Description" in the service manager and the
"internal service name" will show up as "Service name" in the service
manager's properties window.

-i can only be used when adding a service while -c can be used
subsequently in the "erlsrv set" context to change the comment.

Changing your command to
erlsrv add ejabberd -sname ejabberd-srv@REDACTED -w "C:\ejabberd-2.1.0\bin"
-ar "-s win_service" -st "win_service:stop()." -onfail restart -i ejabberd
-c "Cool application"

will make it look nicer in service manager.

R13B02 will be out in a month or so, hope you can cope until then.

(just a note, do *not* use -i when registering a service that is to be
managed by the OTP release_handler!)

Cheers,
/Patrik