[erlang-questions] Why isn't erlang strongly typed?

attila.rajmund.nohl@REDACTED attila.rajmund.nohl@REDACTED
Tue Oct 21 17:47:31 CEST 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Kenneth Lundin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the documentation regarding the API's the type information should
> be and is present and your statement regarding  "OFTEN ERRATIC"
> surprises me at least for the Erlang/OTP distribution.

It's not only about the documentation - it's about the documented
functions itself too. My favourite example from mnesia - there's a two
parameters dirty_read function:

dirty_read(Tab, Key) -> ValueList | exit({aborted, Reason}

but there's no two parameters read function. Annoys the heck out of me
when I replace a dirty_read with a read and get a runtime error.

 				Bye,NAR

P.s.: notice the typo in the documentation.
--
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
  tried it."