[erlang-questions] [enhancement] string:split/2

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt@REDACTED
Fri Oct 10 07:25:29 CEST 2008

Richard O'Keefe wrote:
> Talking about "not requir[ing] HiPE" is like saying
> "I demand that your C compiler produce efficient code
> without optimisation."  Setting compiler options routinely
> produces more than a factor of 2 in C speed these days.
> (Even with the Intel C compiler, I found changing from
> its default options gave me a factor of 2.)

While I agree with nigh on all the rest of your post, I take issue with
the above statement for one simple reason... HiPE does not run on
Windows. Depending on the system being put together this ranges between
non-applicable to "deal breaker". In cases involving string processing -
Windows is a very likely candidate for the platform on which the
application will be run.

As someone who sees Erlang as being applicable beyond the clustered
server paradigm, performance on the operating system used in 90+%
desktop installations is incredibly important.

--
Regards,

Benjamin Tolputt
Analyst Programmer
Email: btolputt@REDACTED

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the
intended recipient and may be privileged. If you have received this
email inadvertently or you are not the intended recipient, you may not
disseminate, distribute, copy or in any way rely on it. Further, you
should notify the sender immediately and delete the email from your
computer. Whilst we have taken precautions to alert us to the presence
of computer viruses, we cannot guarantee that this email and any files
transmitted with it are free from such viruses.