[erlang-questions] [enhancement] string:split/2

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Thu Oct 9 08:54:21 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:37 AM, Richard O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

> Colour me stupid.
> I just realised, 40+ minute late,
> what Fine meant about "idempotent" and why it matters.

 That'll learn me not to use big words I don't understand.

> The requirement is that
>   for all strings String and Separator
>       for all Substring <- unjoin(String, Separator)
>           unjoin(Substring, Separator) =:= [Substring]
>
> This _isn't_ idempotence, but it's some sort of cousin
> to it.  And this is why unjoin("abc", "") doesn't
> include empty matches at the beginning and end, so that

Yeah, that's what I meant right there. Is there a big word for that?
Impotent? Um, no, I don't think so. Let's see, "idem" is Latin for "the
same".. I believe Greek for "the same" is "homo" (homogeneous?)... how about
"homopotent"? Doesn't sound right <walks off muttering to self>...