[erlang-questions] AIX and R12B-3

Perry Smith pedzsan@REDACTED
Wed Jun 18 02:39:05 CEST 2008

Note: I did *not* cross post this to bugs or patches.  I do not know
the rules for this list and sometimes cross posting is really frowned
upon.

There are still three unsolved issues (two roughly the same issue).

1) If a java compiler is not found, the make still dives down the lib/
jinterface tree and promptly dies because it can not find a java
compiler.  So, what ./configure learns is not appropriately applied.

2) In the same sense, if the odbc driver is not found, the make still
dives down the lib/odbc tree and soon dies.

In the first case, I found a Java compiler.  In the second case, I
hand edited the Makefile and removed the call to odbc.  (but that
change is not in these diffs)

3) The make files assume that you can call install -d to create a
directory.  Not true for AIX.  On AIX, I used:

gmake MKSUBDIRS='mkdir -p' install

I *believe* (but could be full of it) that mkdir -p is more universal
than install -d.

I used gcc 4.0.2, AIX's ld, and GNU's make (called gmake on my system).

There is a "odd" issue which probably everyone knows about but I found
it confusing.  The distribution comes with precompiled files.  "make
clean" removes these files.  That is not the usual case.  "make clean"
usually just removes files created post configure.  Some other target
in make is usually used to remove any precompiled files.

Aside from that, attached is my diff of my changes.

Oh, one explanation.  As is somewhat typical of ./configure, things
which are platform dependent, compiler dependent, and linker dependent
get smerged.  Some of the changes are to check if gcc is being used (I
used it in my case) and if it is, then the linker flags are change
from "-a -b -c" to -Wl,-a,-b,-c.  This assumes that the linker flags
are added to the gcc line.  But, in some cases, they are not.  The
compiler is called and the ld is called directly.  All this makes the
configure scripts nearly impossible to get 100% correct.  I keep
waiting and hoping for some replacement to them.

HTH,
Perry