[erlang-questions] setuid

Ville Silventoinen vsi@REDACTED
Thu Jun 5 11:53:06 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm new to the world of Erlang and I'm just trying some things out (very
impressive language!). I got interested in Erlang after seeing Joe
Armstrong's presentation in this year's ACCU conference in Oxford and
reading his excellent book.

I'm writing a prototype of a network filesystem using the fuserl package.
So far so good, I have a little network filesystem that uses fuserl at the
client-side and communicates with a gateway written with gen_server, which
does the file system operations.

One of the things I'd like to do is to map the client-side Unix UID and
GID numbers (#fuse_ctx.uid and #fuse_ctx.gid) to different UID and GID
numbers at the gateway. I wrote a little linked in C module that allows me
to call setuid, seteuid, etc. from Erlang, but I'm not sure how this will
affect other processes doing file operations in the Erlang runtime
environment. Would setuid change the UID for all Erlang processes or for
just the process that called it?

I'll find out the answer soon by experimenting, but I thought I should ask
if anyone has better ideas!

Thanks,
Ville