[erlang-questions] setuid

Gleb Peregud gleber.p@REDACTED
Thu Jun 5 16:33:35 CEST 2008

Processes in Erlang does not map directly to kernel threads. Erlang
processes are like green threads in Java. Operating system is not
aware of them. They are managed by Erlang VM entierly - they are just,
simplifying, internal data structures inside Erlang VM. Erlang
processes are all run inside Erlang VM, which is run on one (or more
if it is SMP system) kernel thread.

Linked-in drivers are dynamically linked in into Erlang VM [1], hence
setuid, seteuid, setguid, etc. will affect whole Erlang VM (probably
only one of the Erlang VM processes (kernel threads) in case of SMP
system, but i'm not sure). Hence these functions called in linked-in
drivers will affect every Erlang processes inside VM.

I hope this text is not messed too much :)

[1] http://www.erlang.org/doc/tutorial/c_portdriver.html