[erlang-questions] Twoorl: an open source Twitter clone

Steve steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
Sun Jun 1 17:27:38 CEST 2008

On Jun 1, 10:01 am, "Patrick Logan" <patrickdlo...@REDACTED> wrote:
> "Yaws at the front end, definitely - but rather /RabbitMQ/ at the back end."
> I'm not sure why RabbitMQ would be a better choice than XMPP /
> ejabberd for a text messaging system?

Well, I've not really done my "due diligence" on this,  but here goes
anyway - the first considerations that come to mind with XMPP/ejabberd
is support for... multiple recipients, offline delivery, clients as
systems (web servers, sms gateways) not user apps (browsers/phones). I
could probably add to the list.

> In addition to that XMPP can federate with existing IM systems, an
> XMPP-based "Twoorl" could federate itself easily across multiple
> organizations.

I can't see how this applies here.. you see, the MQ suggestion was for
an additional back-end tier... I wasn't bothering to address the front
end interface(s) -- maybe I wasn't clear enough on that?

> How easy is it to federate across organizational boundaries AMQP or
> RabbitMQ in particular? I mean assuming if Twoorl does get to this
> scale, does he want to continue paying for the entire infrastructure?

I'm not sure I understand the question here in this context. The
suggestion was assuming that you run the entire service a la Twitter.

/regs