[erlang-questions] concurrency developments

Dmitri Girenko Dmitri.Girenko@REDACTED
Wed Jan 16 10:30:38 CET 2008

The only problem with a new paradigm usually is that the old one is so
familiar and well-known :-)

I have been writing java code for ages, so I have something to compare
against. Having no exposure to non-C family languages, learning erlang
syntax and programming paradigms may seem like trying ot understand
Escher drawings - you have to break something in your head to understand
it. But once you do, you get great payoffs.

The terrible erlang code that I write is about 3-7 times more compact
than similar java code I would've written for the same purpose. In fact
after I started programming in erlang; my java code became a lot more
compact and understandable than it used to be.

Speaking about JVM and CLR, there are great developments going in those
camps, but those will deliver only after the NEW code will be written.
Lots of attention is being paid to the parallelism and concurrency, but
the old code performance will not improve automagically. On the
contrary, most of the existing erlang code will get performance benefits
with more cores. And the key to this is the fact that the fundamental
building blocks in erlang are processes, not objects. In some sense one
may say that the erlang VM has higher level of abstraction than JVM or
CLR.

By the way, that brings another interesting question. As far as I
understand, good manycore scalability is a side-effect of the VM design.
Thus IMHO it is just a coincidence that erlang runtime gets advantage
with the new processors. Was this expected back in 1980s? What other
jewels may be hidden there? :-)

BR

Dmitri