[erlang-questions] Amazon S3 and SQS implemenation in Erlang

Toby Thain toby@REDACTED
Sat Aug 16 15:45:09 CEST 2008

On 15-Aug-08, at 8:31 PM, atomly wrote:

> [Jon Singler <jonsingler@REDACTED>]
>> What you're looking for doesn't exist and can't exist. You're asking
>> for something "simple" that is also "reliable (with replication
>> support)" for storing huge numbers of huge files. Any system that is
>> the latter cannot possibly be the former. Asking for it to be free as
>> well is really pushing beyond the bounds of reality.
>
> I wouldn't say this is true.  I mean, you are obviously going to
> have to
> make some tradeoffs, but there is a lot of work being done these
> days to
> solve almost this exact problem. Dynamo does almost exactly this,

Dynamo isn't meant to store large blobs (megabytes, gigabytes); its
sweet spot is values of a few KB (iirc - it's a few months since I
read the paper). It certainly is 'simple' and elegant.

--Toby