[erlang-questions] Question about Erlang project deployment

Joe Williams joe@REDACTED
Tue Aug 12 15:32:44 CEST 2008

If a clustering solution won't work for you may want to try building a
installation package like an RPM or Deb depending on your distribution.
In both cases you can setup a server to house any custom installation
packages and should to need to install or upgrade you can do this with
the proper local configuration (/etc/yum.repos.d/,
/etc/apt/sources.list, etc) with just one command (yum install NAME,
apt-get install NAME) rather than the normal make, install procedure. It
might help keep the packages in sync and the number of keystrokes to a
minimum.

YUM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_dog_Updater,_Modified
RPM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_package
Deb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deb_(file_format)

-joe

jm wrote:
> Off hand I'd say take a look at rocks cluster linux distribution or
> similar cluster distribution/management software. If this sort of
> flexibility is not available take a look at cfengine
> http://cfengine.org/ which automates sysadmin tasks across a number of
> machines. Not knowing what contraints your operating under and only
> having just started to look at cfengine myself I'm only guessing at it's
> suitability. Having said that I  suspect this is the answer to your query.
>

> Jeff.
>

> Enhnaran Alexander wrote:
>
>> I am now on a project that adopts Erlang as the development language.
>> During the development I encountered a problem, that, we have to build
>> and install Erlang on the server because we are using some third-party
>> library which is written in Erlang, too. But there are more than one
>> server here (maybe up to 100 servers), and it seems not reasonble to
>> download the source code, make, and install Erlang (as well as OTP) on
>> each server; that will be too time-consuming and not efficient. So we
>> decide to make and install Erlang on one machine and copy the binaries
>> (such as /lib, /bin, and so forth) to the other servers. But this
>> brings forth another question: how to transfer these from server to
>> server? And is there any efficient way to manage this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Enhnaran

Name: Joseph A. Williams
Email: joe@REDACTED