[erlang-questions] Stand Alone Erlang or Equivalent

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Fri Sep 7 21:58:54 CEST 2007

On 9/7/07, Ben Munat <bent@REDACTED> wrote:
> David Hopwood wrote:
> > It would also add complexity to the VM and have a performance cost.
>
> Running out of a compressed archive is extremely common in the Java world. I've
> always wondered if there is a performance hit there... but if so, no one seems
> to be worried about it.

I'd imagine that it's measurably faster actually. All of the bytecode
lives in RAM once it's loaded, and disk is the bottleneck for loading
from compressed archives. Not only are you reading less blocks, but
there's less wasted space and less seeks with reading one file as
opposed to many.

-bob