[erlang-questions] benchmarks game harsh criticism

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@REDACTED
Fri Nov 30 10:20:37 CET 2007

greetings,

thanks for the answer. i especially appreciate that you will not harass
me and instead make it easy for me. that is good because it really feels
uncomfortable to be the target of your normal email writing.

quotes from "Timing Trials, or, the Trials of Timing" as per request:
"* Memory-related issues and the effects of memory hierarchies are
pervasive: how memory is managed, from hardware caches to garbage
collection, can change runtimes dramatically. Yet users have no direct
control over most aspects of memory management. "

"We started to construct a table with three dimensions: task,
programming language, and machine. Eventually we added the size of the
problem solved by the program as a fourth dimension, and we changed the
presentation from tables to graphs. Varying the problem size helped us
to detect unusual runtime effects, while a graphical presentation
highlights patterns and trends in runtime instead of individual
performance scores."

"We designed tests whose runtime should grow linearly with the size of
the problem: runtime = mÂ?size + b. Thus, if we choose size to be large
enough to justify ignoring the fixed overhead (b), the log-log plot
should show a straight line of unit slope. Exceptions indicate anomalous
behavior that deserves further attention."

Now it is your turn. could you quote the exact words where they say that
4 inputs and a spread of x10 is good enough?

bengt
Those were the days...
    EPO guidelines 1978: "If the contribution to the known art resides
    solely in a computer program then the subject matter is not
    patentable in whatever manner it may be presented in the claims."