[erlang-questions] My biggest beef with Erlang

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Wed Nov 28 06:02:09 CET 2007

On 27 Nov 2007, at 10:32 am, Robert Virding wrote:
> Scheme allows defining a prefix within the a symbol which means it
> refers to another module (library for them) so you would write:

There is no such thing as a module in Scheme (up to R5RS; they were
planning
a module system for R6RS but I haven't kept up with that) and Scheme
(again,
up to R5RS) attaches no special significance to colons.

That's Common Lisp.

Note that Common Lisp doesn't put *functions* in modules, it puts
*symbols* (atoms) in packages.  Package prefix "syntax" in Common
Lisp is
entirely lexical, there is no such thing as ((find-a-module):some-
function ...)
in that form.  (You can do it, you just can't do it using colons.)