[erlang-questions] My biggest beef with Erlang

Christian S chsu79@REDACTED
Tue Nov 27 13:06:43 CET 2007

2007/11/27, Robert Virding <rvirding@REDACTED>:
> I actually defy anyone to come up with a safe, consistent and
> *understandable* definition of guards which allow user defined functions. It
> would also be nice if they were relatively easy to implement. Joe, remember
> our ideas with pipes?

Are not monads the proven way to constraint what side-effects a
function is allowed to have? I'm not particularly excited about Erlang
requiring Monads, but they do seem to be the way to help the compiler
with static analysis of side-effects. Loadable code makes the problem
more difficult for Erlang though.