[erlang-questions] My biggest beef with Erlang

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Tue Nov 27 12:04:59 CET 2007

Termite has a recieve function ?? defined as (?? pred [timeout [default]])
which retrieves the first message in the mailbox which satisfies pred. This
is basically impossible to implement today in Erlang but would be possible
to add.

I would however probably oppose it as you could get into really weird
situations if pred had side effects. It is actually just like allowing user
defined functions in guards.

receive
    X when user_function(X) -> X
end

I actually defy anyone to come up with a safe, consistent and
*understandable* definition of guards which allow user defined functions. It
would also be nice if they were relatively easy to implement. Joe, remember
our ideas with pipes?

Robert