[erlang-questions] Clarify: how to reduce startup time for escript ?

Roberto Saccon rsaccon@REDACTED
Mon Nov 26 14:15:31 CET 2007

Bengt, thanks. Thats seems to solve my problem (if I get it working).
Unfortunately I get an "Connection refused" error, see below:

roberto-saccons-computer:~/tmp/erlaunch-2004.0309 rsaccon$ bin/erlaunch start
erlaunch v2004.0309 - execute selected Erlang functions from command line
Copyright (c)2003-2004 Cat's Eye Technologies.  All rights reserved.
Emulator started, starting erlaunch subshell.  Type ^D to exit.
roberto-saccons-computer:~/tmp/erlaunch-2004.0309 rsaccon$ bin/erlaunch ls
erlaunch: connect: Connection refused
roberto-saccons-computer:~/tmp/erlaunch-2004.0309 rsaccon$ exit
exit
Stopping emulator.  Thank you for using erlaunch!
erlaunch: connect: Connection refused
roberto-saccons-computer:~/tmp/erlaunch-2004.0309 rsaccon$

anything I am doing wrong ? Anything missing ? I just compiled
erlaunch in MacOSX 1..4.11.  and with Erlang R11B, followed the
tutorial and keep getting the error above.

regards

On Nov 26, 2007 5:12 AM, Bengt Kleberg <bengt.kleberg@REDACTED> wrote:
> greetings,
>
> the trick to reduce start up time _was_ SAE (stand alone erlang, see
> http://www.sics.se/~joe/bluetail/sae_r7b/sae.html). it does not exist
> any more.
>
> the alternative (which i think you mention) is erlaunch
> (http://catseye.tc/projects/erlaunch/doc/design.html).
>

> bengt
> Those were the days...
>     EPO guidelines 1978: "If the contribution to the known art resides
>     solely in a computer program then the subject matter is not
>     patentable in whatever manner it may be presented in the claims."
>

> On 11/24/07 19:31, Roberto Saccon wrote:
> > I am working on a better integration of Erlang and TextMate (Mac text
> > editor), basically adding the stuff which emacs / distel  already
> > provides out-of-the-box.
> >
> > My current approach is based on escripts, which get called for
> > specific actions such as compiling. For details see:
> > http://www.rsaccon.com/2007/11/easy-erlang-compiling-with-textmate.html
> >
> > One problem with escripts is that their startup time is within a
> > range, which a user perceives as (short) delay.
> >
> > It's about 0.15 sec on my system.
> >
> > Does there exist a trick to reduce this startup time ?
> >
> > Other approches such as connecting to a runnig node  give a response
> > time perceived as "immediate", but are significantly more difficult to
> > implement and to integrate into TextMate.
> >
> > regards

Roberto Saccon
http://rsaccon.com