[erlang-questions] Lets build a stock exchange!

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Mon Nov 12 01:58:20 CET 2007

Torben,

On Nov 11, 2007, at 9:10 PM, Torben Hoffmann wrote:

> It may very well be the case that a stock exchange is cooler than
> poker, but
> I think that the poker server has some interesting aspects that could
> inspire others.

I can always describe the architecture of the poker server in a series
of blog articles.

> Furthermore, I would rather see a well-written book on hard-core
> Erlang hit
> its window of opportunity than see the whole thing turn into "let's
> make the
> coolest application that will never run in real life just in order
> to spice
> up a programming book"-kind of projects.

I firmly plan to hit my window of opportunity, that's my priority #1.

I may have confused a lot of people by forgetting to mention that I
don't plan to build a business. I do plan to write a book, one with
examples based around software. I'm passionate about all things
trading and I'm not passionate about poker, so I chose to build and
describe stock exchange software instead.

> A well written book with a clear example of usage including
> discussions
> about where the general ideas can be applied is what I would bet my
> money
> on.

It will be done!

	Thanks, Joel