[erlang-questions] design: singleton application or multiple instance application?

YC yinso.chen@REDACTED
Sat Nov 10 03:45:08 CET 2007

Hi all -

I have a gen_server that reads from a list of definition files containing
erlang terms and hold it in memory to serve other processes needing the
data.  Aside from a periodic refresh when the underlying data changes, the
only thing the server does is to serve the data read from files.

There will be multiple processes accessing this gen_server concurrently as
they need the data @ different times.  My question is - would a singleton
suffice for the concurrent access?  Or do I need to startup multiple
instances?  What's the best practice for server to client ratio for such
scenario?

Thanks for any insights,
yc