[erlang-questions] some language changes

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@REDACTED
Thu May 24 08:59:49 CEST 2007

On 2007-05-23 22:07, Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) wrote:
> The problem is (1) that epp explicitly calls file:open(),
> and has no function that just accepts a file descriptor,
> and (2) that epp uses the io subsystem, which requires
> file_io_server, which only works on regular files.

what i meant was that epp should accept an IO device (as returned from
file:open/2), too. this seemed a good idea since it probably used one
internally.
it is easy (since i have done it :-) to write your own server that
handles the IO device.

if i understand you correctly then epp does not use the io module
internally but have opened in raw mode. correct?

then it is a large (but trivial?) undertaking to change epp from
file:read() to io:fread().

> This has been discussed in an earlier thread, and
> various workarounds have been presented. Mine was to
> make a ram_file_io_server, which I thought was
> trivially easy (after some study of the file IO
> system).

that is ok too. i have not done it, but it could be more fun than
changing epp to use the io module.

bengt
--
Those were the days...
    EPO guidelines 1978: "If the contribution to the known art resides