[erlang-questions] process dictionary, anyone?

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed May 2 14:35:21 CEST 2007

On 5/2/07, Jeremy Thurgood <jerith@REDACTED> wrote:
> Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> > Java is just an example. It seems like a probable candidate just by
> > the sheer mass of users and libraries (of which BTW I assume most will
> > be reusable on the improved platform).
>
> Given the number of Java libraries that aren't threadsafe and the
> magnitude of the paradigm shift required to get the benefits of Erlang
> in any language, I don't think that's going to be the case.

The latter is a valid argument, although IMHO the paradigm shift will
have to happen anyway, sooner or later. Whether it's going to be
towards Erlang's paradigm or some other, that's another issue.

The former I can't agree with -- the beauty of the "object as process
with no shared data and communication by message passing" model is
that thread safety as we know it is mostly irrelevant.

best regards,
Vlad