[erlang-questions] dependency on inets for string functions

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Mon Mar 19 19:23:23 CET 2007

Hi,

On 3/15/07, Christophe Romain <christophe.romain@REDACTED> wrote:
> What can we say about common string functions ?
>
> commonly used functions which are implemented in several places:
>     - to_upper: inets builder snmp ubf
>     - to_lower: inets diggo ibrowse megaco www_tools yaws
>     - to_uppercase: ic
>     - to_lowerchar: yaws
>     - encode_base64: inets ibrowse
>     - decode_base64: inets yaws
>
> inets.http_util is by far the most used implementation.
> well, to_upper and to_lower are really string related functions
> encode_base64 and decode_base64 are MIME related functions
>
> modules depending on inets for functions listed above:
>  ibrowse jabberlang orcas pico smtp_client stl tsung xmerl yxa
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to move that functions into stdlib.string ?

In the next release OTP R11B-4 the following is added to stdlib:
- module string will have to_upper and to_lower added
- A new module base64 with several encode and decode functions.

inets:http_util will later be changed to use the functions in stdlib.

/Kenneth (OTP team at Ericsson)