[erlang-questions] dependency on inets for string functions

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Mon Mar 19 19:38:39 CET 2007

On 3/19/07, Kenneth Lundin <kenneth.lundin@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 3/15/07, Christophe Romain <christophe.romain@REDACTED> wrote:
> > What can we say about common string functions ?
> >
> > commonly used functions which are implemented in several places:
> >     - to_upper: inets builder snmp ubf
> >     - to_lower: inets diggo ibrowse megaco www_tools yaws
> >     - to_uppercase: ic
> >     - to_lowerchar: yaws
> >     - encode_base64: inets ibrowse
> >     - decode_base64: inets yaws
> >
> > inets.http_util is by far the most used implementation.
> > well, to_upper and to_lower are really string related functions
> > encode_base64 and decode_base64 are MIME related functions
> >
> > modules depending on inets for functions listed above:
> >  ibrowse jabberlang orcas pico smtp_client stl tsung xmerl yxa
> >
> > Wouldn't it be nice to move that functions into stdlib.string ?
>
> In the next release OTP R11B-4 the following is added to stdlib:
> - module string will have to_upper and to_lower added
> - A new module base64 with several encode and decode functions.
>
> inets:http_util will later be changed to use the functions in stdlib.

We should have a party! This is great :)

How about UTF8 encoding and decoding too? That would pretty much
remove all of the "calling into really strange places for
functionality that should be standard" from my projects.

What's the status of bit-level binaries and general comprehensions? Is
that coming in R11B-4 too? That would REALLY be awesome.

-bob