[erlang-questions] Killer Erlang tools

Toby Thain toby@REDACTED
Tue Jun 12 22:18:08 CEST 2007

On 12-Jun-07, at 12:41 PM, Joel Reymont wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2007, at 4:23 PM, Toby Thain wrote:
>
>>> I'll be writing the refactoring IDE in Lisp and for Cocoa on the
>>> Mac.
>>
>> That's an unfortunate restriction. Why not make it portable?
>
> I tried doing things for profit but it never worked out for me.
> Doing things for fun is so much better. Cross-platform is not as
> fun or just as sexy.

After I posted, I wondered if I'd misread your mail, and you were
actually planning a platform independent core with a fancy OS X-
optimised Cocoa version. But apparently I did not...

Doesn't this seriously limit the market - or if non-commercial,
"audience" - for your tool? Which means it's not going to do the
Erlang platform any favours either, if that was your aim.

Anyone else have an opinion on portability? I even make Windows ports
of my GPL tools, because I don't believe in arbitrarily punishing
users for poor choices. Besides, it means I get about four times as
many users (=testers) :)

my 2c,
--Toby