[erlang-questions] re crappy security (RE: Erlang presentation slides)

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Thu Jun 7 11:43:22 CEST 2007

Since that's a general question, you're
likely to find several documents. I found the
following with a simple google search:

"A Technical Comparison of IPSec and SSL"
Alshamsi & Saito, Tokyo University of Technology
http://eprint.iacr.org/2004/314.pdf

The answer to the question is that it depends on
several factors. You will find them listed in the
paper. For example, IPSec supports compression,
which can be quite beneficial in some cases, but
interoperability seems much better with SSL.

I think the paper illustrates that there are
tradeoffs between security level and performance,
and that there isn't one single solution to
security that is "best". Given that, the idea of
achieving security via a VPN seems quite
reasonable.

BR,
Ulf W