[erlang-questions] Executing external commands

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Mon Feb 12 10:04:20 CET 2007

Fernando Ipar wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to run external commands in erlang and get it's
> exit code back to erlang.
> As far as I understand, os:cmd(Command) only returns the output of
> running the program.
>
> Is there a way to get the exit code from the command, or do I have to
> implement an external program to run these commands and communicate
> back and forth with erlang through a port?

You can roll your own version of command/1. I use a piece of code
like the following to run external commands in EUnit:

command(Cmd) ->
     Opt = [stream, exit_status, use_stdio,
            stderr_to_stdout, in, eof],
     P = open_port({spawn, Cmd}, Opt),