[erlang-questions] Executing external commands

Michael McDaniel erlangx@REDACTED
Mon Feb 12 04:58:36 CET 2007

 following works on Linux ...

$ uname -a
Linux delora 2.6.17-10-386 #2 Fri Oct 13 18:41:40 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

$ erl
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.3 [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.5.3  (abort with ^G)
1> os:cmd("/bin/ls fubar; echo $?").
"/bin/ls: fubar: No such file or directory\n2\n"
2> os:cmd("/bin/ls foo; echo $?").
"foo\n0\n"
3> init:stop().
4> $
$

 You can then parse out the return value from the echo.  There are
 probably other ways to get the result you are looking for.

 I think this discussion came up a few months ago.  The above is the result
 of the particular shell called.

~Michael

--
Michael McDaniel