[erlang-questions] inets services startup

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Fri Apr 6 01:28:52 CEST 2007

While accidentally entering wrong information in inets' server
configuration file I got an error report stating that a child spec was
not created.  As a result the corresponding service didn't get started.

Upon examining sources, I found the following code with
exit({error,Reason}) commented out:

httpd_sup.erl:
==============
child_spec([], Acc) ->
     Acc;
child_spec([{httpd, HttpdService} | Rest], Acc) ->
     NewHttpdService = mk_tuple_list(HttpdService),
     %%    Acc2 = child_spec2(NewHttpdService,Acc),
     NewAcc=
     case catch child_spec2(NewHttpdService) of
         {ok,Acc2} ->
         [Acc2|Acc];
         {error,Reason} ->
         error_msg("failed to create child spec for ~n~p~ndue to: ~p",
               [HttpdService,Reason]),
%       exit({error,Reason})
         Acc
     end,
     child_spec(Rest,NewAcc).

I was wondering what the authors had in mind by somewhat silently
ignoring the critical error at startup.  Wouldn't it be proper to
uncomment that line?

Serge

--
Serge Aleynikov