help

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Sat Jan 7 18:07:15 CET 2006

Ernie,

In this particular system we are not using yaws, but do use mnesia (a
couple of disc_copies master nodes and several ram_copies replicated in
geograpically distributed sites).

The clients are custom host processes written in C that control Excel
switches.  There are over 200 such clients/switches clustered in
multiple sites.  The protocol between clients and back-end Erlang system
is ASCII based (similar to http headers) over persistent TCP
connections.  The Erlang system consists of three layers:

1. Proxy (load balances transactions accross back-end servers)
2. Back-end servers joined by process groups.  These also run mnesia
ram_copies replicas.
3. Master mnesia database nodes (two nodes at two sites).

The solution also has redundancy at OSI layers: 1,2,3,4,5.

In the lab we were able to achieve the thoughput of 5000
transactions/second using a single proxy and multiple back-end servers.
  So in real life we'll be using multiple sites more for network
redundancy reasons rather than performance, as the current throughput
requirement is under 600 transactions/sec.

I would say that the most complicated part of this project was not the
design and development in Erlang, but getting all teams involved in QA,
deployment, support, network provisioning, server support, etc.
coordinated, so that the project can be successfully deployed.  Yet,
this is fairly common for large organizations...