Longstanding issues: structs & standalone Erlang

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Wed Feb 22 11:49:10 CET 2006

--- Kostis Sagonas <kostis@REDACTED> wrote:
> This is also true.  The only point I would like to
> add is that
> "overall plans and/or guidelines" are not enough, I
> am afraid.
> These guidelines should be backed up by software
> tools that enforce
> the layered software development property.
> Such tools are currently lacking.

xref computes a static call graph of sorts, which I
guess would be the starting point for such a tool. (Or
see below.)

Find the strongly connected components of the call
graph (in other words, the sets of functions that can
all mutually reach one another by zero or more
function calls) and look at how these span modules,
applications, and (user-defined) layers. Extra credit
if the tool can pinpoint problematic pieces of code
and give nice, informative warnings. Double credit if
there is an evaluation telling us whether layering is
useful in practice :-)

Higher-order calls is more difficult, of course, but I
do recall seeing at least two analyzers from Uppsala
computing/approximating higher-order call graphs, so
this might not be a huge hurdle.

Best,
Thomas