The Erlang mailing list

Rick Pettit rpettit@REDACTED
Thu Aug 31 01:52:30 CEST 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 06:51:07PM +0100, Joel Reymont wrote:
> We appear to have ~600 members on this list, this is what I was told
> last time I asked.
>
> Is there a real need to split it? If yes then the discussion should
> be first along what lines and second where to host the sub-lists.

Traditionally the erlang list has been a low-volume list where intelligent
questions are asked and intelligent answers given. It would be a real shame
to see the signal-to-noise ration drop drastically with floods of newbie
questions pertaining to basic installation, how does OTP work, how do I loop,
why shouldn't I program in Ruby, etc.

If the community is growing and such is inevitable then I for one propose a
newbie list be started, else it might suffice to be firm (yet polite) and
simply remind newbies to read the FAQs and other docs (and not ask silly
questions without doing their homework first).

My 2 cents.

-Rick