Erlang downsides?

ke han ke.han@REDACTED
Wed Aug 30 17:35:32 CEST 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 11:37 AM, James Hague wrote:

>> 1. Where Erlang is not "naturally suited" for that
>> For example, I've read ejabberd uses C in some parts, not because
>> it was
>> hard or impossible to program that in Erlang, but because C is pretty
>> more powerful than Erlang in such tasks.

Ruby uses C extensively.  Its a seamlessly integrated forethought to
the language design ;-) (well, I assume its a forethought...we're on
the wrong maillist to verify that)

> Weak points in the current Erlang implementation/libraries:
>
> * Algorithms that involve destructively updating arrays.  You can
> mimic this with a hash (in the guise of an ets table), but it's not
> pretty.
> * Unicode strings.

it seems mostly that Best Practices for strings in general and
Unicode are not well documented.  There are good ways to solve the
issues though.

> * Regular expression matching (there's a module, but watch Perl beat
> it by a factor of 100).

What language doesn't perl beat at regex?

ke han