Erlang downsides?

James Hague james.hague@REDACTED
Mon Aug 28 05:37:25 CEST 2006

> 1. Where Erlang is not "naturally suited" for that
> For example, I've read ejabberd uses C in some parts, not because it was
> hard or impossible to program that in Erlang, but because C is pretty
> more powerful than Erlang in such tasks.

Weak points in the current Erlang implementation/libraries:

* Algorithms that involve destructively updating arrays.  You can
mimic this with a hash (in the guise of an ets table), but it's not
pretty.
* Unicode strings.
* Regular expression matching (there's a module, but watch Perl beat
it by a factor of 100).