pgsql

Christian S chsu79@REDACTED
Wed Aug 30 13:38:44 CEST 2006

On 8/30/06, Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:
> Well, ejabberd is enough of a validation :-).

>From what I could see pgsql backend was an optional setting. I dont
have any experience running ejabberd. Perhaps someone could contribute
how useful the pgsql backend is in it?

> I would like to use PostgreSQL instead (or together with) Mnesia
> since I think I could leverage both Erlang and Rails. Particularly, I
> know that PGSQL scales well and Rails is a breeze to write system
> administration and reporting tools in.

I think SQL databases make for practical decoupled interface-points
between different systems, your situation being an example.

An erlang system can feed a database, a python script can extract data
for mailing out reports, a proprietary C++ system can extract its data
and communicate with some old internal proprietary system, php can
make webpage listings and so on. All have their center around the
database.

Idea while writing: Make it easier to access mnesia from Ruby/(insert
favourite language)? So mnesia can be the center of attention. There
is already a mnesia_session for foreign language access.

The idea is still wet, no research done yet. :)