Modern Languages vs the Ancient... (Was Metaprogramming)

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Thu Aug 24 09:15:55 CEST 2006

Den 2006-08-24 06:14:28 skrev Rudolph van Graan <rvg@REDACTED>:

> It looks to me as though they have now managed to invent a (bad)
> scripting language sitting above Java essentially imitating what we had
> in ASP/JSP/VB ten years ago, but far worse because XML is not a language
> but a data structure...

Indeed. This is also easy to sell to management et al, since it's XML...
Now, when you venture into using XML as a "programming language", you
will run head-on into the horribly sad state of XML script debugging,
which, presumably noone bothered to develop tools for before jumping
into product development.

If you're going to write scripts in XML, here's a suggestion:

Map the erlang abstract form into XML 1-to-1. Then you will have
Distributed XML, highly concurrent, and with good fault tolerance.
You can also write an error reporting gen_event handler that spits
out crash reports in XML format too. You will certainly be rewarded
with the kingdom and half a horse, and your scripting language
will become more popular than Erlang ever was. (:

Ulf W
--
Ulf Wiger