Erlang for desktop applications?

Mikael Karlsson mikael.karlsson@REDACTED
Wed Aug 23 08:09:35 CEST 2006

One way to go with XUL is not to use XPCOM but to load your XUL-application
from the webbserver and to handle events in a AJAX fashion (using the JSON
support on Yaws maybe :-).  This means you do not have to install anything on
your client side, except Firefox. I think start times for such applications
are OK, if they are not too complex and considering that Firefox is already
up and running.

If you still wan't to build XPCOM bindings one way to go could be to use
Erlangs Corba support, since the interfaces to XPCOM is specified in XPIDL,
a Corba style interface, and since there are some bridges:
http://www.cmiss.org/ReleaseCenter/xpcorba
http://xpcom2corba.sunsite.dk/

Generally I think you could do some really nice applications using Firefox XUL
and a (Yaws) server. The RDF support that comes with Firefox and XUL is also
something really interesting. See the RDF tutorial on:
http://www.xulplanet.com/
for instance.

Regards
Mikael