Experimental new layout style for EDoc.

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Mon Aug 14 05:15:37 CEST 2006

Richard Carlsson <richardc@REDACTED> wrote:
	I've been doing some changes to the layout in EDoc and
	I am now looking for some feedback of the constructive kind.

I'm looking at that page in an oldish copy of Netscape,
and the thing that strikes me is that about 20% of the window
area is dedicated to a list of Modules, which hold no interest
to me while I'm looking at the overview page.

It's not just that 20% of the area is used this way,
the problem is that this is the 20% that it's easiest
to scan back to with the eyes and find with the mouse.

I am *NOT* saying that this list is useless.
On the contrary, when it's wanted, it is wanted a lot.
But it *isn't* wanted *all the time*.  And it certainly
isn't wanted at all by anyone who doesn't yet know what
the modules are:  why would I be interested in clicking
on edoc_parser when I don't *yet* have any reason to believe
that there's anything I need to read there?

If it's simpler to stick with _some_ navigation bar,
it might be useful to have the main section headings for a page
there unless/until someone selects a 'modules' view.

There is a readability issue.
When I look at the page in Mozilla (SPARC/Solaris), the
top bar of the main frame is Teal blue, and the word "overview"
is a more typical blue, but not really different enough to be
easily readable.

	I'm also interested in hearing about browser compatibility
	problems that need fixing.

I like using Amaya.  Unfortunately, Amaya doesn't do frames,
Non-frames support is good.