Commercial Mac IDE

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Fri Aug 11 22:58:18 CEST 2006

On 8/11/06, Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2006, at 7:23 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
>
> > My point was that it may be worth considering the options first.
> > Having done some work on an IDE framework before, I know there are a
> > lot of tricky details. So riding on the Eclipse wave would cut a lot
> > of corners.
>
> My main beef, if you will, is the large size of Eclipse and
> associated baggage. I tried using it for Java development before and
> found it slow and bloated.

This is partly true. The latest Eclipse is much faster and slicker
than previous versions (that's why I say "partly"). The Eclipse
runtime is 33M, so not overly huge with today's standards (just as
large as OTP). Of course, if you want the whole SDK (for developing
erlide, not just using it), it becomes 100M...

My plan from the beginning was to write a generic Java framework for
Eclipse and have all specific code done in Erlang. In practice it
wasn't that easy, I had to choose between getting something done
fast(ish) or maybe never being able to deliver anything at all. I
still would like to return to the former solution.

As it is now, all UI stuff is Java, but most of the core functionality
is in Erlang.

> Plus, I don't want to code in Java to extend my Erlang environment.

This, of course, nobody can argue with :-)

> I would also like to take advantage of all the APIs that Apple and
> Cocoa have to offer, including the ones coming out in Leopard.
> Ultimately, I'm planning to offer a trading systems development
> platform and it would need a coding environment. I might as well
> build the environment first and then extend it further.

I think it could be a nice app, yes, but I hope I will be forgiven if
I still prefer a multi-platform IDE :-) Maybe we others will still
benefit somehow (if your GUI framework will have parts that aren't Mac
specific!

Good luck!
Vlad