64-bit erlang

Raimo Niskanen raimo@REDACTED
Tue Nov 15 09:03:25 CET 2005

fritchie@REDACTED (Scott Lystig Fritchie) writes:

> ks> Issuing the simple command:
>
> ks> alias gcc='gcc -m64'
>
> ks> would have achieved the same effect.
>
> Here's my reply to Andrae Muys, who suggested using "CC='gcc -m64'
> ./configure".
>
>   I didn't spend much time on it, but IIRC there was a sub-package that
>   assumed that $(CC)'s value contained no whitespace -- the assumption
>   was violated, and "make" stopped.  {shrug}  I've run into that quite a
>   bit, and I didn't want to discover how many other places made the same
>   assumption, so I resorted to my "exec gcc -m64 $*" trick and hoped

Did you make a two line wrapper a'la:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
#! /bin/sh
exec gcc -m64 ${1+"$@"}
In that case note the little improvement to instead of
$* use ${1+"$@"}, that quotes all arguments separately,
and (unimportant for gcc) does not pass an empty
argument if there are none.

That would work even with $(CC) arguments containing whitespace.