64-bit erlang

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Tue Nov 15 08:20:52 CET 2005

>>>>> "ks" == Kostis Sagonas <kostis@REDACTED> writes:

ks> Issuing the simple command:

ks> alias gcc='gcc -m64'

ks> would have achieved the same effect.

Here's my reply to Andrae Muys, who suggested using "CC='gcc -m64'
./configure".

  I didn't spend much time on it, but IIRC there was a sub-package that
  assumed that $(CC)'s value contained no whitespace -- the assumption
  was violated, and "make" stopped.  {shrug}  I've run into that quite a
  bit, and I didn't want to discover how many other places made the same
  assumption, so I resorted to my "exec gcc -m64 $*" trick and hoped
  that there weren't any hidden assumptions that $(CC) *arguments*
  didn't contain whitespace & thus break /bin/sh's "$*" expansion.
  There were none, hooray.

The same Makefile assumption about lack-of-whitespace-in-$(CC) is the
same assumption that screws up attempts to use tools like CCache or
DistCC.  "CC='distcc gcc'" or "CC='ccache gcc'" are the easiest ways
to use those tools ... until you encounter a broken Makefile.  Or a
broken "libtool".  {shudder}

-Scott